August 29, 2011 in News
Desi Deandre Wade, Pentagon Employee, Charged With Taking Bribe Over Afghanistan Contract (AP):
A high-ranking Department of Defense employee was charged Thursday with taking a bribe at an international conference in Atlanta to steer lucrative federal contracts for work in Afghanistan to a contractor.
Desi Deandre Wade, the department’s Chief of Fire and Emergency Services in Afghanistan, was arrested Wednesday at the Fire-Rescue International Conference in downtown Atlanta after he took $95,000 in cash from a contractor, U.S. Attorney Sally Quillian Yates said.
“While he was supposed to be working to support our troops, he was lining his pockets,” she said.
Wade’s attorney Allison Dawson said at an initial hearing Thursday that her client, a military veteran, intended to plead not guilty.
“We’re astonished at these charges against someone who has served his country for 20 years,” she said.
Defense Department employee accused of $95,000 bribe (Reuters):
Under the scheme, Wade would provide the company with other bidders’ quotes so that it would be the low bidder and get the contract, according to prosecutors.
Federal investigators had received information more than a month ago that Wade was directing contracts to certain bidders for personal gain, authorities said.
“This Department of Defense employee is charged with selling his position of public trust for cash,” U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia Sally Quillian Yates said in statement.
Related Material From the Archive:
- At Least $360 Million in U.S. Contractor Money Went to Taliban and Afghan Criminals
- Man Arrested by Military at G20 Protest
- New Jersey Mayors, Five Rabbis Arrested in Corruption Probe
- Mexican Drug Cartels Bribe Border Patrol Agents with Sex, Use Female Assassins, Kidnap People for Gladiator Knife Fights
- (U//FOUO) US Forces-Afghanistan Private Security Contractor Management
- Senate Report on Private Security Contractor Oversight in Afghanistan
- CSTC-A Afghan National Police Training Facility Maintenance and Life Support Services Contractor Work Statement
- Bribery is a Way of Life in Syria