Director of National Intelligence 2012 Report on Reengagement of Detainees Formerly Held at Guantanamo Bay
March 7, 2012 in Office of the Director of National Intelligence
The following report was released March 6, 2012 by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and states that approximately 16% of detainees released from Guantanamo Bay have been confirmed rejoining terrorist or insurgent causes. Thanks to Carlton Purvis for bringing this to our attention.
Summary of the Reengagement of Detainees Formerly Held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
- 2 pages
- March 2012
(2) (a) An assessment of the likelihood that such detainees will engage in terrorism.
Based on trends identified during the past 9 years, we assess that if additional detainees are transferred without conditions from GTMO, some will reengage in terrorist or insurgent activities. Posing a particular problem are transfers to countries with ongoing conflicts and internal instability as well as active recruitment by insurgent and terrorist organizations.
(2) (b) An assessment of the likelihood that such detainees will communicate with persons in terrorist organizations.
Former GTMO detainees routinely communicate with each other, families of other former detainees, and previous associates who are members of terrorist organizations. The reasons for communication span from the mundane (reminiscing about shared experiences) to the nefarious (planning terrorist operations). We assess that some GTMO detainees transferred in the future also will communicate with other former GTMO detainees and persons in terrorist organizations. We do not consider mere communication with individuals or organizations – including other former GTMO detainees – an indicator of reengagement. Rather, the motives, intentions, and purposes of each communication are taken into account when assessing whether the individual has reengaged.
Related Material From the Archive:
- WikiLeaks Guantanamo Files: Al-Qaeda Assassin Worked for MI6 and Canadian Intelligence
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence Data Mining Report
- Guantanamo Detainee Matrix of Threat Indicators for Enemy Combatants
- Guantanamo Bay Detainee Operations Photos
- (U//FOUO) Director of National Intelligence Classification Markings Register Version 1.2
- (U//FOUO) Director of National Intelligence Classification and Control Markings Manual Version 1.2
- Guantanamo Bay Camp Delta Pictures
- UN Human Rights Report on Torture and Abuse of Afghan Detainees October 2011