March 15, 2012 in U.S. Marine Corps
USMC Suicide Activity Report: Marine Corps February 2012 suicide trends
- 2 pages
- For Official Use Only
- March 2012
CY 2008 national suicide rate adjusted for MC demographics
The 2008 national suicide rate adjusted for Marine Corps demographics is 20.7 per 100,000.
Calculating an adjusted national rate is important to accurately compare Marine Corps and national suicide rates, as in Figure 1.
The national adjusted suicide rate is calculated by taking Centers for Disease Control data, and changing the data to look more like the Marine Corps (mostly young and male). Adjusted civilian rates for CYs ’09 and ’10 will be calculated when the data is available.
Suicide Prevention Media Guidelines:
The Suicide Prevention Resource Center offers the following guidelines when using media to prevent suicide:
- Themes should be positive (e.g., “Life is worth living”) versus negative (e.g., “Don‟t kill yourself”).
- Depictions should not contain graphics or descriptions of methods of suicide (e.g., guns, pills, etc.) because that has been shown to lead to copycat suicides.
- The word „suicide‟ should not appear in titles or headlines.
- Scenes should depict desired behavior (e.g., Marines talking to other Marines), not undesired behavior (e.g., sitting isolated in a corner).
- Actors or models should not appear disheveled, depressed, or in obvious distress. They should appear normal, because there are often no obvious warning signs of distress, and close engagement is required to tell if someone may be at risk.
Related Material From the Archive:
- (U//FOUO) U.S. Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) Manual
- (U//FOUO) Marine Corps Intelligence Activity Report: Cultural Islam in Afghanistan
- (U//FOUO) U.S. Marine Corps Civilian Casualty Mitigation Lessons Learned Report
- (U//FOUO) Marine Corps Intelligence Activity Cultural Intelligence Indicators Guide (CIIG)
- (U//FOUO) U.S. Marine Corps Partnering with Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) Lessons Learned
- (U//FOUO) U.S. Marine Corps Intelligence Afghanistan Micro Mission Guide
- (U//FOUO) U.S. Marine Corps Intelligence Joint Operational Environment Briefing
- (U//FOUO) U.S. Marine Corps Secret Internet Protocol Router Network (SIPRNet) Concept of Employment