Critical Infrastructure: Threats to Water Retention and Control Structures
- 1 page
- For Official Use Only
- May 2011
(U//FOUO) Tens of thousands of dams, levees, navigation locks, industrial waste impoundments, and other water retention and control structures are located throughout the United States. Due to their iconic nature and potential impact on public safety, these structures present attractive targets for terrorist activity. Explosive attacks pose a significant threat, as evidenced by past plots against foreign infrastructure targets. Cyber intrusions present another concern and could be used to sabotage or control site operations. The FBI is interested in any information that could help mitigate threats to the security of dams or other water retention and control infrastructure.
(U//FOUO) When responding to a threat involving water retention and control infrastructure, or in the course of official activities, and to the extent permitted by law, agencies are encouraged to coordinate with and forward to the FBI information on entities committing criminal or suspicious acts which may reasonably indicate a potential threat to US interests and warrant further investigation.
(U//FOUO) Which terrorist groups, criminals, or other actors are plotting illegal acts against water retention and control infrastructure?
(U//FOUO) What are the details of physical attack plots against water retention and control infrastructure?
- (U//FOUO) Identify threats, surveillance activities, trespassing incidents, or other indications of attackplanning against water retention and control infrastructure.
- (U//FOUO) What weapons or tactics will be used in the attacks?
(U//FOUO) What are the details of cyber attack planning against water retention and control infrastructure?
- (U//FOUO) What methods are cyber attackers planning to use against water retention and control infrastructure?
- (U//FOUO) What are the attacker’s intentions (e.g., exploit, disrupt, deny, destroy)?
(U//FOUO) When and where will the attack or crime against water retention and control infrastructure occur?
- (U//FOUO) How are targets selected (e.g., economic value, psychological impact, security vulnerabilities, window of opportunity, new technology)?