- Melanie Bausen, BASF SE
- 19 pages
- For ICCA Use Only
- December 3-4, 2009
Global Voice of the chemical industry – International Council of Chemical Associations
- ICCA promotes and co-ordinates Responsible Care and other voluntary chemical industry initiatives.
- ICCA is an active partner in transforming the SAICM, CSD, POP, PIC and CWC activities from concept to reality
- ICCA enables and encourages its members to:
- Exchange information, knowledge and share best practices
- Promote the spirit, principles and practice of Responsible Care
- Present a united chemical industry view to -and interact with -key international organisations
- Support international free trade and the World Trade Organization (WTO).
Global Product Strategy (GPS)
1.Develop global stewardship guidelines
2.Develop a system for implementation
3.Define risk-based assessment process
4.Partnership with inter-governmental organizations and stakeholders
5.Improve flow of information
6.Share relevant information between industry and with public
7.Communicate GPS (internal / external)
8.Effort to close data gaps and identify emerging issues
9.Develop global advocacy principles
ICCA GPS Key Messages – By 2020, ICCA will
1. Establish a base set of hazard and exposure information adequate to conduct safety assessments for chemicals in commerce globally.
2. Provide global capacity building to implement best assessment practices and management procedures, especially with SMEs and developing countries.
3. Share relevant product safety information with co-producers, governments and with the public.
4. Work across the value chain so suppliers and customers can effectively evaluate the risks and successfully manage chemicals
5. Make information on chemicals publicly available through GPS IT-portal
Long-Range Research Initiative (LRI) Benefits of international cooperation
- High scientific quality of LRI support mutual acceptance of tests, a major breakthrough in minimizing animal testing.
- Enables positive engagement with stakeholders (Regulators, Academia, IGO, NGO, Public)
- Strengthens the basis for regional and international policies for chemicals
- Expert Network, Capacity Building for industry
- Since its launch in 1999, LRI has invested over $200 million USD globally.