- NASWHIDBEYINST 3770.1E
- 114 pages
- July 12, 2010
1. Per reference (a), NAS Whidbey Island is assigned scheduling responsibility to manage offshore and inland operating areas dedicated for military use by surface and air platforms. This manual contains a comprehensive listing of all PACNORWEST TRCM OPAREAs. Chapters 2 through 7 include detailed descriptions of these areas.
2. All military training (to the maximum extent possible) should be conducted within the established OPAREAs.
1.2 NOISE ABATEMENT POLICY. It is Commanding Officer, Naval Air Station Whidbey Island policy to conduct required training and operational flights with a minimum impact on surrounding communities. The importance of maintaining continued good relations with the public and other federal agencies dictate strict compliance with the provisions contained in reference (b) and this instruction. Each aircrew shall be familiar with the noise profiles of their aircraft and shall be committed to minimizing noise impacts without compromising operational and safety requirements.
1.13 ANTI-SUBMARINE WARFARE EXERCISES. ASW exercises must be per COMNAVSURFPACINST 3120.8F. No live depth charges or other live underwater ordnance shall be dropped for exercise purposes except as authorized by COMNAVSURFPAC, San Diego, CA.
1.18 OTHER MISSILE EXERCISES. Surface-to-Air and Surface-to-Surface missiles may be expended within offshore OPAREAs. Because of the varying characteristics of the missiles used by the Navy, varying safety precautions and attack methods must be used. Each mission or exercise shall be briefed and the necessary safety precautions applied. No missile shall be fired when there is a chance it will not fall in a safe area within the OPAREA.
1.19 DEPLETED URANIUM (DU) AMMUNITION. DU policy, per DODD 4715.11P, paragraph 5.4.9, Commanders will minimize the use of munitions that contain submunitions or DU to that required to support national security objectives.
5.4 USE OF ORDNANCE
5.4.1 Authorized Ordnance
1. Conventional or inert ordnance flares, and photo flash cartridges may be used except as noted under OCNMS, paragraphs 5.3.2 and 5.3.3.
2. Use of chaff requires compliance with applicable instructions and coordination with Western Air Defense Sector.
5.4.2 Ordnance Scheduling Procedures
1. All exercises involving use of ordnance must be approved by NAS Whidbey Island Range Schedules Division with concurrence from COMSUBPAC, Pearl Harbor, HI (CTG 34.33), COMM (808) 473-3794 CTG 34.33 plans water (surface) management 2 weeks prior and issues area assignment the week prior to becoming effective. Area requests should be transmitted with sufficient lead-time to be factored into water management. CTG 34.33 prefers drops in W-237A vice W-237B due to shipping and land restrictions.
2. Area requests, which involve use of ordnance, must be submitted via message using the format in paragraph 2.5.1. Item (J) remarks shall include the weight of each weapon and depth of weapon detonation. Message addees should be as follows:
To: NAS WHIDBEY ISLAND WA//N3/N331//
Info: CTG 34.3.3 CCGD THIRTEEN SEATTLE WA//JJJ//
5.4.3 Notice to Mariners (NOTMARS)
1. Appropriate NOTMARS must be transmitted to warn of hazardous activity or ordnance usage. User activities shall send a message at least 1 week prior to the event:
To: CCGD THIRTEEN SEATTLE WA//OLE/O/OAN//
Info: COGARD AIRSTA ASTORIA OR//OPS//
COMSUBPAC PEARL HARBOR HI//JJJ//
COMSUBTRAGRU PACNORWEST BANGOR WA//N3//
NAS WHIDBEY ISLAND WA//N3/N331//
FAA SEATTLE ARTCC AUBURN SEATTLE WA/1MOS//
WESTERN AIR DEF SX MCCHORD AFB WA//DO/DOO/SD/ICS//
(any other addees(s) deemed appropriate by user activity)
2. Example of message narrative as follows:
SUBJ: REQ ISSUANCE OF A NOTICE TO MARINERS TO WARN OF (i.e. GUNNERY EXERCISE/ HAZARDOUS FLT ACTIVITY/ETC)
A. [Include applicable ref]
1. UNIT CONDUCTING EXERCISE (i.e. USCGC xxxx, USS xxxx)
2. AREA TO BE USED (i.e. W237-E)
3. TYPE OF ORDNANCE: M-240B (7.62MM), M16 (5.56MM)/SURFIREX.
4. PRIMARY DATES: COMEX AT 000000Z JAN 10 and FINEX AT 000000 JAN.
5. POC: LT/LTJG/ENS xxxxx OPS CELL (xxx) xxx-xxxx
COMM (xxx) xxx-xxxx
6. COMMUNICATIONS (as applicable):
(1) PRIMARY: 16A VHF-FM.
(2) SECONDAY:13A VHF-FM.
(3) TERTIARY: MCTS TOFINO CH-74 VHF-FM.
7. USCGC xxxx, USS xxxx WILL BE CONDUCTING A LIVE FIRE EXERCISE IN APPROXIMATE POSITION xx-xx.xx N xx-xx.xx W. DANGER AREA WILL BE PLUS OR MINUS 15 DEGREES OF THE FIRING BEARING OUT TO A RANGE OF xxxx YARDS.
8. PRIOR TO COMMENCING EXERCISE UNIT WILL MAKE A SECURITY BROADCAST VIA VHF-FM CH 16 AND NOTIFY TOFINO MCTS VIA VHF-FM CH-74 OF EXERCISE LOCATION, FIRING BEARING AND DANGER RANGE (as applicable).
9. UPON COMPLETION OF EXERCISE UNIT WILL NOTIFY TOFINO MCTS THAT LIVE FIRE EXERCISE IS COMPLETE (as applicable).
10. FOR CCGD13 SEATTLE WA: REQ BROADCAST NOTICE TO MARINERS.