Centers for Disease Control
- 37 pages
- For Internal Use Only
- For Official Use Only
- July 17, 2009
Novel 2009-H1 N1 Declarations
- WHO: Pandemic Phase 6(11 JUN 2009 1600 EDT)
- Outbreaks in at least one country in > two WHO regions
- USG: Public Health Emergency declared (26 Apr 2009)
- HHS: Downgraded to Phase 1 Awareness (9 May 2009)
To date any evidence of …
Change in epidemiology
• Different age distribution of cases or severe cases from US? NO
• Different profile of pre-existing conditions from US? No
Change in virus characteristics?
• Different virus strain associated with severe cases? NO
• Community spread of oseltamivir-resistant novel 2009-H1N1? No
Change in timing?
• Earlier start to influenza season following novel 2009-Hi Ni introduction? Mixed evidence
Change in health care impact?
• Increase in hospitalizations following novel 2009-Hi Ni introduction? Limited evidence
• Increase in proportion of hospitalized eases in ICU? Limited evidence
Change in transmission?
HH and community attack rates> seasonal influenza??
Port Preparedness Planning
– Contingency plans for conducting entry screening at 19 ports of entry in
- Deadline for completion of contingency plans is August 1
– HHS acquiring 100 surge staff to support 20 quarantine stations
- Commitment to provide surge staff for 1 year
- Estimated duration of surge support activation is 4 weeks
- Surge staff requested to report for duty within 24 hours
- List of surge staff generated through NDMS and will include 5 local staff for each quarantine station
- Projected completion of surge list is July 17
- Identified surge staff will have PHA-type skills set (nurses, EMTs, etc.)
– 595 ILl cases reported in QARS since June 1, 2009:
- 5 land travelers
- 555 maritime travelers