- 6 pages
- September 23, 2010
FORCE POLICY LETTER 05-10
From: Commander, Marine Forces Reserve
To: Distribution List
Subj: MARINE FORCES RESERVE (MARFORRES) SECURITY OFFICE AMPLIFYING “WIKILEAKS” WEBSITE GUIDANCE
(a) Executive Order 13526
(b) SECNAV M-5510.36Encl:
(1) CNO N09N2 Wikileaks Posts Sensitive Information email dtd 26 Jul 10
(2) BANIF 020-10 of 2 Aug 10
1. The information found on the website “WIKILEAKS” is classified information that was transmitted to that public domain site illegally. Per reference (a) and the enclosures, “Classified Information shall not be declassified automatically as a result of any unauthorized disclosure of identical or similar information.” Despite the circumstances surrounding WIKILEAKS, we must continue to protect similar or identical information commensurate with the level of classification assigned per reference (b), until the information is assessed by the appropriate Original Classification Authority (DCA).
2. United States Marine Corps (USMC) personnel (Marines/Civilians/Contractors) are hereby cautioned and directed to not access the WIKILEAKS website from a personally owned, publicly owned or United States Government computer system. Willingly accessing the WIKILEAKS website for the purpose of viewing the posted classified material constitutes unauthorized processing, disclosure, viewing and downloading of classified information onto an unauthorized computer system not approved to store classified information. This is a deliberate security violation. This includes having someone access the site on your behalf.
3. These actions provide the justification for local security officials to remove or suspend “for cause” all security clearances and accesses.
4. USMC personnel need to view, process, and/or store classified or potentially classified information only on machines cleared for processing information at the appropriate security level.
5. Any MARFORRES personnel or agencies who believe they require access to these documents or have other equities or concerns should contact the Security Manager Office for assistance.